We all know that shower heads come in a variety of shapes and styles as we all have had the misfortune of using a bad shower head at some point or another. Depending on the water pressure, spray pattern, build quality, and added features, a shower head can completely change your showering experience. It is for this reason that you want to take the time and learn as much as you possibly can about shower heads and what stand-out features recommend each and every single one of them.
That way, you ensure that you’ll always enjoy a pleasant and relaxing shower, because believe it or not but showering can have plenty of therapeutic benefits. Among shower heads, handheld models are nowadays enjoying quite a rise in popularity, which is easy to explain considering how practical they are. With that in mind, let us take a look at the ten best handheld shower heads the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Handheld Shower Heads Of 2019
Couradric Handheld Shower Head
Able to deliver no less than 6 spray settings for you to choose from, this shower head stands out as one of the most versatile out there. As such, it can provide you with a bubbling rain pattern, bubbling water, power rain, shampoo rinsing, pulsating massage, and even a water saving mode that you can employ at will. At the same time, this shower head delivers a perfect fusion of art and quality in a sublime Couradric blend that makes it both practical and elegant at the same time.
Wassern High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
With this particular shower head, you get a premium quality item that boasts 7 unique spray settings for you to use. It also stands out through its powerful high-pressure oxygenic spray with a 2.5 GPM flow control which renders it more than capable of delivering therapeutic spray patterns. Not just that but it also comes with a water-saving feature that you might want to employ if you’re conscious about the environment.
Vive Handheld Shower Head
Designed to fit any standard shower plumbing, this ingenious shower head from Vive uses universal connections that allow it to be mounted almost anywhere. Flexible, durable, and equipped with an extra-long hose, this shower head makes showering very easy by most standards, even when you have to work with reduced water pressure. Furthermore, it benefits from a hassle-free installation kit which contains anything you could possibly need to set it up.
HOMELODY High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
The first thing to notice about this peculiar shower head is the pause switch close to the top. This feature, as you may have already figured out, is designed to allow for quick pause/resume motions for when you want to take a quick pause in an emergency. You do this without interfering with any screws or levers down at the faucet, which may affect the water temperature if not perfectly operated. At the same time, the shower head allows you to choose between 5 equally useful spray settings, just like any other high-end shower head out there.
Briout High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
Easy to install and even easier to operate, this handheld showerhead from Briout boasts a multifunctional design with a bunch of equally useful features that you can use. Among them, the capacity to choose between 5 spray settings that include a massage spa option for a more therapeutic approach to showering. We should also point out that the shower head benefits from a high-quality ABS plastic construction with an elegant chrome-plated surface and self-cleaning nozzles.
Moen Magnetix Six-Function Handheld Shower Head
It is important when choosing a shower head of any sort to first figure out whether the unit boasts useful features that you might want to use long-term. This particular shower head, for instance, features a magnetic docking system that enables you to quickly detach it from the wall feature and use it as a handheld showerhead if needed. Not just that but it also enables you to choose between 5 shower settings and enjoys an eco-friendly WaterSense technology to allow you to conserve water on a regular basis.
ShowerMaxx Luxury Spa Series Shower Head
With this particular shower head, you get a unit that can help you turn your shower cabin into a veritable home spa. This is owed to its exquisite design, durable craftsmanship, and peerless functions. At the same time, it offers multiple settings to choose from including a power massage with six adjustable spray patterns. This way, you can enjoy a power massage or a high-pressure experience with a shampoo spray for good measure. It is also equipped with heat-resistant solid ABS features to ensure its long-term durability.
YOO.MEE High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
Thanks to its proprietary high-pressure handheld design with ASR functions, you will find this shower head to be a lot more reliable than pretty much any other model in this price range. Among its many features, we find a powerful spray function designed to work well with low-pressure water pipes and to deliver an impressive standard of water conservation. Furthermore, this unit is equipped with silicone rubber jet nozzles to prevent the build-up of minerals, which renders it fairly easy to clean.
AquaDance High-Pressure 6-Setting Shower Head
The AquaDance High-Pressure Shower Head, like the name suggests, is designed to deliver a fairly strong spray pressure. Designed to be used both as an overhead or handheld showerhead, this unit features a click lever dial, and ergonomic grip handle, and rub-clean jets of the highest standard. It also benefits from an angle-adjustable overhead bracket and an extra-flexible reinforced stainless steel hose for good measure. At the same time, the set includes a shower hose, an overhead bracket, washers, and a plumber’s tape to help with its installation.
Hydroluxe 1433 Handheld Showerhead
Few showerheads can rival the Hydroluxe 1433 when it comes to its versatility and reliability. The reason we say that is because it features a dual 2-in-1 shower head system with a patented 3-way water divider for a near-perfect spray pressure and consistency. It also comes with a 5 ft super flexible stainless steel hose with conical brass hose nuts that make the uni easier to install. Last but not least, this shower head can be installed in just a matter of minutes without using any additional tools other than the pieces included in the package.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Handheld Shower Head
Even though shower heads can differ from one another in terms of design, versatility, and general construction, you can pretty much expect most of them to provide the same basic services. That said, you need to understand that some of these shower heads, especially the handheld versions, can boast a wide range of functions one could use not only for hygiene but for therapeutic purposes as well. This is especially true for most of the high-end handheld showerheads out there who tend to boast all sorts of pressure and spray pattern modifiers to choose from.
Shower Head Types
As we said, showerheads tend to differ not just in their construction but in their overall design as well. While some are purely intended to provide hygienic services, others can be used to achieve a more customizable showering experience. Among all shower heads, the ones that boast adjustable spray delivery patterns are by far the most popular, and understandably so given how practical yet versatile they are.
- Adjustable Shower Heads – These shower heads are generally equipped with several spray options to choose from, which should give you a fair bit of leeway when showering. They also tend to offer water pressure gauging options which you can employ depending on your water pipes and the pressure you get from the water line. Also worth mentioning is that they can usually be altered by turning the shower head one way or another, a fairly simplistic operating method.
- Rain Shower Heads – Although not as popular as adjustable shower heads, rain shower heads stand out by featuring a low-flow spray that imitates the feel of rainfall to a great extent. This is something that many people find comforting and even therapeutic depending on their showering habits. Interestingly enough, rain shower heads are generally seen as fairly eco-friendly on account of their water-saving options.
- Handheld Shower Heads – These shower heads are perhaps the most widespread models worldwide. It also needs to be said that their popularity has seen a slight increase in recent years, which may have something to do with how broad the selection has become. In principle, these shower heads have a short hose that attaches to the faucet for easy showering. Most of the time, these shower heads lock into an upright position so that they might be able to double as overhead showers.
- Low-flow Shoer Heads – As the name suggests, these shower heads are renowned for their low-flow spray. This recommends them for people who for some reason, have to work with fairly low water pressure, either a result of a faulty water line or because of the poor pipe geometry in the area. Whatever the reason, these shower heads tend to deliver spray options that include rainfall delivery patterns.
- Fixed Shower Heads – There is no denying that fixed shower heads are the most popular worldwide and understandably so. This model usually involves a standard style shower head attached to a pipe or a faucet in the shower wall. For this reason, they generally don’t boast too many spray options to choose from, if they even possess such capabilities. Either way, these units tend to be inexpensive, fairly reliable, and easy to care for.
- Dual Shower Heads – These shower heads offer both a fixed shower head in the traditional sense and an attached handheld option for good measure. This enables you to use the shower head as a standard shower or for bathing options in a more personalized manner. What you need to remember about these shower heads is that they tend to command a slightly bigger price tag, which makes perfect sense considering how bulky and complex they are.
It isn’t just the design of the shower heads that tend to differ from one model to another but the inbuilt features as well. For instance, some shower heads, be them handheld or fixed, allow you to choose between multiple water delivery patterns. These spray patterns affect not only your showering experience overall but they can also save you a lot of water in the long run from an eco-friendly perspective.
- Rain Pattern – Pretty self-explanatory, rain patterns are intended to simulate the effect of rain falling on your head as you shower. Many people consider these effects to be not only relaxing but therapeutic to a great extent.
- Massage Pattern – People who employ a massage spray when they shower, do so for the extra pressure settings such a pattern provides. Needless to say, you absolutely need a high-pressure pipeline if you’re going to even consider using a massage shower head pattern.
- Full Pattern – Fairly basic as far as the pattern goes, a full pattern spray delivers water in a traditional fashion, albeit with some variation in terms of water flow. For this to happen, you might want to ensure that the water pressure is strong enough in the first place.
- Jet Pattern – The jet pattern uses a concentrated stream option that delivers a deep-cleansing type of spray for you to enjoy. Although more concentrated than regular showering options, the jet function is still mild enough to guarantee a pleasant experience.
Features To Consider
If you’re buying a handheld showerhead, you might want to first and foremost consider the piping in your household. We say this because water pressure has a clear effect on how a shower head performs, especially if it’s the type that boasts several spray patterns and other similar options to choose from. In principle, you want to consider the installation type, the flow rate, the added features, and the finish.
- Installation Type – For the most part, shower heads are either wall-mounted or ceiling-mounted. That said, handheld systems are also available as inbuilt options for either wall or ceiling mounted shower heads.
- Flow Rate – Another thing you want to consider is the flow rate and how it can affect water wasting over time. In most countries, the highest allowed flow rate is 2.5 gallons per minute on a standard 80 psi level.
- Pause Function – Some handheld showerheads, especially the high-end versions, are equipped with a pause function that you can use. This means that you can stop/resume the flow of water at any given time without the risk of accidentally changing the water temperature.
- Finish – Bear in mind that shower heads can come in a variety of finishes, from chrome and brushed metal to bronze and antique brass. In that regard, try your best to get a showerhead with a rust-resistant finish, one that is also easy to care for.
I began my writing career writing for various content firms, but it was under the tutelage of the editors here at SavantMag.com that I grew as a writer and editor. I love the content we write here and bringing solid reviews to consumers is rewarding beyond what I can even describe.